Technology Assessment Program
Sign up: Technology Assessments Email updates
- Public Review
- Technology Assessments Completed
- Technology Assessments in Progress
- Topic Refinements Completed
- Topic Refinements in Progress
- Technology Assessment Archive
AHRQ's TA Program uses state-of-the-art methodologies for assessing the clinical utility of medical interventions. Technology assessments are based on a systematic review of the literature, along with appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods of synthesizing data from multiple studies.
Technology assessments are conducted by our Evidence-based Practice Center Program or may be done in house by AHRQ staff. For additional information on the EPC reports conducted for the Technology Assessment Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential TA topics may go through a formal AHRQ Topic Refinement process. When CMS requests a Topic Refinement, the potential TA’s key questions and overall scope are reviewed by invited stakeholders, and the resulting document is posted for public comment.
To get complete public review, the AHRQ TA Program will post draft reports on the AHRQ TA website. To meet the timelines for Medicare coverage decisions mandated by the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003, draft technology assessment reports will be available for public review for a limited time. A notice will be sent out on the CMS Medicare Coverage and AHRQ Effective Health Care Email distribution lists 1 week before the posting of draft reports. Each report will be available for public review on this website for a total of 3 weeks.
The AHRQ TA Program supports and is committed to the transparency of its review process. Therefore, starting March 18, 2009, invited peer review comments and public review comments will be publicly posted on the TA Program website within 3 months after the associated final report is posted on this website. The report authors' responses to the comments (the "disposition of comments") will be posted on the same webpage as the associated comments.
If topics undergo a formal Topic Refinement, the Topic Refinement document containing the scope of the potential TA will be posted on the AHRQ TA website for 2 weeks for public comment. Once public comments have been considered and revisions have been completed, the final Topic Refinement document will be posted on the AHRQ website.
Technology Assessments Completed
- Skin Substitutes for Treating Chronic Wounds
Protocol [Amended July 24, 2019, and October 3, 2019]
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 1.2 MB)
- Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation in the Home
Protocol (PDF - 641 KB); Protocol Appendix A (PDF - 202 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 803.5 KB)
- Update on Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 254.8 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 283.6 KB)
- Short- and Long-Term Outcomes after Bariatric Surgery in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 372 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 691.4 KB)
- Definition of Treatment-Resistant Depression in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 464 KB) (Amended March 2017)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 769 KB)
- Treatment Strategies for Patients with Lower Extremity Chronic Venous Disease (LECVD)
Protocol (PDF - 392.95 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 1.61 MB)
- Retinal Prostheses in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 216.32 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 500.16 KB)
- Renal Denervation in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 98.37 KB)
Disposition of Comments (PDF - 1.23 MB)
* Not available electronically. Contact email@example.com for report availability.
Technology Assessment Program Products in Progress
Reports in late-production phase (post-review)
- End Stage Renal Disease in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 453 KB) [Amended June 26, 2019]
- Platelet-Rich Plasma for Wound Care in the Medicare Population
Protocol (PDF - 105 KB) [Amended April 6, 2020]
Reports in early-production phase (pre-review)
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Medicare Eligible Patients
Protocol (PDF - 289 KB)
Topic Refinements Completed
- End Stage Renal Disease in the Medicare Population (PDF - 260 KB)
- Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation (PDF - 216 KB)
- Home Mechanical Ventilators (PDF - 144 KB)
- Pain Management Injection Therapies for Low-Back Pain (PDF - 77 KB)
- Therapeutic Options for Obesity in the Medicare Population (PDF - 316 KB)
- Use of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy in the Medicare Population (PDF - 142 KB)
Topic Refinements in Progress
- Role of Liquid Biopsy in Detection and Management of Cancer in the Medicare Population
Technology Assessments for 1990-2015
These technology assessments were completed at least 5 years ago, and some as many as 20 years ago. These assessments may be outdated due to more recent research findings not included in the assessments and should be viewed cautiously in current medical practice. They are maintained for archival purposes only.